Monday, March 26, 2012

Named Instances

When applying patches if I have a default instance and
named instance on the same server, does the patch affect
both instances or can I patch them seperate?The executable code for each instance is deliberatly in a separate =directory so patches affect each instance seperately. This is so you can =test thingsin isolation. The exception to this is patches to tye clein =tools (Query Analyser, EM etc) as these are shared between instances.
Mike John
"Larry" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =news:04c901c39421$f2c73900$a101280a@.phx.gbl...
> When applying patches if I have a default instance and > named instance on the same server, does the patch affect > both instances or can I patch them seperate?|||Larry,
Your only choice is to apply them separately. Think of it as two machines
hiding in one box.
Russell Fields
"Larry" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:04c901c39421$f2c73900$a101280a@.phx.gbl...
> When applying patches if I have a default instance and
> named instance on the same server, does the patch affect
> both instances or can I patch them seperate?|||Larry,
A named instance is essentially a different server from
the default instance (and any other named instances).
You must patch all instances separately.
Tim
>--Original Message--
>When applying patches if I have a default instance and
>named instance on the same server, does the patch affect
>both instances or can I patch them seperate?
>.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment