Friday, March 30, 2012

named pipes under alias

I have a SQLSERVER INSTANCE A, to which I want to connect from a Client as TEST, using the SQL Server alias functionality under the client network utility program. The alias is working fine with the TCP\IP connection but it fails when I try to connect to the SQL Server using the named pipes. In my case I'm trying to connect to a named instance of SQL Server 2000 using the following pipe: \\servername\pipe\mssql$instancename\sql\query

Any help?I have just tried this. Pain in the neck, too. When you change the name of the alias, the client network utility is all helpful, and changes the actual path, and server name. So you have to get the right path, and save it of in notepad or something. Change the name of the alias, replace the name of the server with the name of the server you want, then recover the path from notepad. I tried it, and it did not work. Then I hit the Apply button. Now it works. Does that approximate what you went through?|||I can connect to any server using the alias name with the TCP/IP, but the same doesn't work with the Named Pipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment