Friday, March 30, 2012

Named pipes vs TCP/IP and NETWORKIO wait type

I am experiencing a problem whereby a 3rd party application is performing data transfers between tables in a database and they are taking enormous amounts of time.
I have no way of knowing what it is actually doing but when I examine the current activity, the RUNNABLE process shows NETWORKIO in the Wait Type column. What is this as I have not been able to find anything in BOL.
Related to this, what is the faster way of connection: named pipes or TCP/IP ? Both the client and the server have both enabled but the application is using TCP/IP to connect. Would named pipes be faster ?
Regards,
Peter Apostolakopoulos.
Check this out: http://sqldev.net/misc/WaitTypes.htm
Are both these tables in the same DB? What command is it using?
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"Peter Apostolakopoulos" <apostolp@.britannic.co.uk> wrote in message
news:BDFFD198-0B85-44EE-9CC3-55863CD7F980@.microsoft.com...
> I am experiencing a problem whereby a 3rd party application is performing
data transfers between tables in a database and they are taking enormous
amounts of time.
> I have no way of knowing what it is actually doing but when I examine the
current activity, the RUNNABLE process shows NETWORKIO in the Wait Type
column. What is this as I have not been able to find anything in BOL.
> Related to this, what is the faster way of connection: named pipes or
TCP/IP ? Both the client and the server have both enabled but the
application is using TCP/IP to connect. Would named pipes be faster ?
> Regards,
> Peter Apostolakopoulos.
|||Andrew,
Many thanks for the info. It is very useful. I am still having problems but I am pursuing this with the suppliers as I they have written some custom SQL to do the data migration which is "not the best" !!
Peter Apostolakopoulos
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment