Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection To SQL Server

I am trying to setup a notification service sample (from Joel Webb's book) for SQL server 2000 and notification service 2.0.

When i run nscontrol create at the cmd prompt, i am getting the following error:

Notification Services failed to retrieve the SQL Server edition.

SqlServerError:
Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
Number: 53
State: 0
Class: 20
Server:
Message: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL
Server)
Procedure:
Line Number: 0

Any help on how this could be resolved would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Nirmala

Hi Nirmala -

Thanks for buying the book. I hope you find it useful!

As for your issues, you may want to double check the name of the server and SQL Server instance to make sure they are correct. You may also want to verify that the server does indeed allow remote connections and that it is using named pipes as a communication protocol.

HTH...

Joe|||

I tried all the suggested things but unfortunately still seeing the same errors. Any more thoughts?

Thanks,

Nirmala

|||In the description of the problem you mention SQL Server 2000 and SSNS v2.0. However, in the actual error message it references SSNS 2005.

SSNS v2.0 was developed using version 1.1 of the .net framework and will only work with SQL Server 2000. SSNS 2005 was developed with v2.0 of the .net framework and is only available for use with SQL Server 2005.

Could it be that you have mismatched versions? And that is what is causing the problems you are seeing?

HTH...

Joe|||

Hi

I had a similar error in analysis project.

In my case I did not use the real servername as I had put an alias name for the server in my hosts file.

When I changed the server name in my datasource to reflect the real server name in stead of the alias name, I was able to deploy the project.

Regards

Per

No comments:

Post a Comment